Blue Ridge Writers
A CHAPTER OF THE Virginia writers club, inc.
CONGRATULATIONS to our 2016 Contest Winners!
1st - Sara M. Robinson
“Click Bait Poetry”
2nd - Phyllis A. Duncan
“Versus for Orlando”
3rd - Joy Merritt Krystosek
1st - William E. Sypher
“The Execution, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia”
2nd - Roger Tolle
“My Body As Evidence”
3rd - Gerry Kruger
1st - Phyllis A. Duncan
2nd - J. Elizabeth Vincent (pseudonym for Janell E. Robisch), “Transgression”
3rd - Gwendolyn Poole
“If God Gave Me Wings”
The Blue Ridge Writers Chapter Annual Writing Contest is the first tier of the Virginia Writers Club, Inc., annual Golden Nib Contest. After our chapter-level contest concludes, the first place winners in each category (fiction, nonfiction, and poetry) from each chapter are forwarded to the VWC, for the statewide-level Golden Nib Contest. The entries that place in each category, plus other entries selected by the contest judges, will also receive invitations to publish in the Central Virginia writers’ annual anthology of prose and poetry, Skyline 2018.
All entries must be received by email by midnight June 30, 2017. Submissions should be sent to the contest coordinator, Gary Kessler, at gdkess[at]mindspring.com, with “Blue Ridge Contest Entry” in the subject line. Submissions will be acknowledged by e-mail.
1. Entries will be accepted on any subject the author or poet chooses in the categories of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
2. Manuscripts must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant, and must not have won a prize at any level in any other competition. However, since the VWC State competition now allows entries published in personal blogs, the BRWC will accept those types of entries. Writing published in blogs other than your own or on social network sites or in an online publication is ineligible and should not be submitted.
3. All entrants must be current dues-paying members of BRWC. E-mail our treasurer, Bruce Bertelsen firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE e-mailing your entry to check your dues status. If you are not a member, download and complete our membership application and mail it to Bruce before submitting your entry.
4. Entrants may submit only one entry per category of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
5. NEW! Fiction and nonfiction entries are limited to 3,500 words. Poetry entries are limited to 50 lines.
6. Fiction should conform to the Chicago Manual of Style; nonfiction can be either Chicago style or Associated Press Style.
a. A separate cover sheet in a separate Word Document file to include author’s name, address, telephone number, email address, title of work, number of words (fiction and nonfiction) or lines (poetry) and category (fiction, nonfiction, poetry).
b. All other pages must show contest category, title and page number in the header. If the author’s name appears on any page of the manuscript other than the cover sheet, the entry will be disqualified.
c. All entries must be submitted as a Word doc. Documents must be formatted in Times New Roman, 12-point to 13-point font size. Manuscripts must be setup for 8 x 11-inch paper with one-inch margins top, bottom and left, and a ragged right margin. Prose (fiction and non-fiction) must be double-spaced. Poetry may be single-spaced.
8. Submissions not in accord with format and other guidelines will be disqualified.
BRWC will announce winners in each category by August. First place winners on the regional BRWC level are submitted to the VWC statewide competition in September. VWC winning entries in each category will be published in PDF format on the VWC Web site. All other rights remain the property of the author.